Thursday, April 17, 2008

Hardtail vs Full Suspension



Well it has been a enjoyable two weeks with nothing but riding time and getting acclimated to being back home but all good things must end and after this weekend it is back to work again. I made the most of it with almost a 1:1 RPD (thats Rides Per Day) average for the last two weeks including the race. I was able to get a ride on the trainer on Monday, did a 17 mile course on Ligomes on the real axiom, stairmaster for 30min on Tuesday, Thompson for 2 laps on Wednesday and then Arrowhead today for 3 laps. I have been maintaining a pretty good schedule this week which I will hopefully be topping off with a morning ride at Dauset on Sunday. Today was not only to get some training in but also get the new Fox Talas RLC set up I am debating on which bike to take out to Yargo - the Vertex or the ETSX. The course description sounds like a good hardtail candidate but I am doing the 12hr Solo there the next weekend so I would like to get a feel for how the FS is going to ride out there. I believe I found the set up that will work for it, if I set the fork to 120mm and lockout with the pressure activated lockout release and set the rear shock to 4" travel with the propedal set + that seems to lock it down pretty tight while still providing the travel where needed. Anyone considering the Fox fork be it the Talas, Float or anyone of the models there in you can't go wrong, this fork is sweet and adjusting on the fly is fairly easy as well. During my 3 laps out there today I ran it through the gauntlet of its adjustments messed with the rebound and compression and got the fork set for my riding style. Then worked through the varying travel settings and the automatic lockout release pressure settings, the fork responded great in the fast technical sections of the trail I was flying thru the stuff like it was cool. Once I locked it down it climbed like nobodys business I have always been a fan of Marzocchi Forks and still believe they are good forks but I gotta give it to Fox this Fork is a sweet ride. Anyway I hope to be out at Dauset on Sunday morning so if your out there I Will See You on the Trail!

No comments: