Sunday, April 13, 2008

Flat Rock - Podium Finish


FINALLY!! I got to feel like what it was like to lead a race, still waiting on how it feels to win it but I managed a second place finish and felt pretty good overall about my performance. It was a fast course with some changes to last years layout that allowed for a better start and spread the field out before it got to the narrow single track sections so you could pass. After getting past the eventual 3rd place finisher I had to make up over a minute on the leader to catch him which eventually I did(only because he figure he had such a lead he could cruise for a while - my turtle and hare ploy almost worked!) The interesting part was once I caught him he apparently thought I was in a different class and waived me around shortly after that he realized it, I was a good sportsman and offered him the position back however he said no and from there the race was on. I managed to keep him working for it all the way thru the single track and the first part of the parade lap but couldn't hold him off after that and basically blew up on the last stretch of climb. Hopefully next time I don't get so far behind and don't have to work so hard to catch up. This was a good start to the season and hopefully one I can continue in two weeks at Ft Yargo. I was reading the reviews on that course it would appear that it is also a good trail for a Hardtail and pretty fast as well, however I am planning to do the 12hrs Solo there the following weekend so I may take the ETSX out there to get a warm-up run in, guess we will have to see take both out there just in case. Anyway the plan for this week is some drivetrain maintenance, some trainer time or road ride with some stairmaster thrown in for good measure and a trail ride or two out at Thompson. I would be remiss without mentioning a Big Thanks to Bill and Charles and the rest of The Bike Store employees for all the support and assistance they have provided me over the past two years which has directly contributed to providing me with this awesome finish Thanks Guys!! Anyway if your out at Thompson this week I Will See You on the Trail!.