Monday, February 20, 2006

Razorback bite

Well after much preparation and looking forward to the 12 hrs of Razorback there we were - BEA-utiful day, prerace ride preparation all done smoothly and just chomping at the bit to go racing. Well I started out lead lap enjoyable little 1/4 mile run to the bike and then off we go- at least for the first hundred yards and then the cattipillar begins, the first two miles had a lot of stop and go with the back up but it wasn't two bad was working my way thru the field little by little just making moves when I could. Mile 3 and we are off to the races baby, passing and moving hooking it up at every opportunity so by mile 7 I am sure I have to be close to the front at least definitely in the top half and then as fate would have it rolling thru a sharp right hand turn to a rooty uphill I spot a rider getting stuck, no problem a little harder to the right around the tree and the rider and I am----oh no what is that jammed thru the long cage and up into the rear derailluer sticking into my wheel but a nice big branch!#%$*!!?*! (by the way did I mention I suffer from a mild case of tourettes when riding?) so about 15 min later and the majority of the field later I manage to make the bike rideable and cross the line at a 1hr and 14min Well to make a long story short the repair job didn't take and 1/2 mile into my second lap the spring screw went missing leaving me with 3 gears and no chain tension making for a 1hr 48min second and final lap. Lessons learned always bring a spare derailluer to the race and never let someone else tell ya "oh yea I fixed it". My apologies to my teamates on burning up the daylight and for the next 12 hr race I figure I will go a two person team or solo just not enough time in a 12 hr for a four person team. Anyway I am replacing the derailluer hopefully the derailluer hanger is salvagable because there is no authorized Rocky Mountain Dealer within 70 miles of here and then it is off to the Snake Creek Time Trials on the 4th of March were hopefully I will have better mechanical luck. While the racing for me may not have been all that great the group was a good group to ride with Dave, Courtney, and Ryan and hanging out with all the riders from the area was cool. Also I rode Santos on Sunday before departing figured since we were there might as well enjoy some of the riding and see what the race might have to offer, man there is alot of trail out there! Anyway I should be out at Thompson and possibly Arrowhead this weekend so as usual I will see ya on the trail!

No comments: