Saturday, March 14, 2009

Heritage Park 6hr

Boy if I was as fast as this picture looks like I am I would be riding for a living!
Army Strong at least in the endurance part just need to work on that climbing strength
A few of the Macon Crew that were up for the race, hanging around the heater keeping warm

Well Today's event was outstanding, the weather was a balmy 39 degrees at the start and I am not to sure it got much warmer than that all day. I was able to wear snivel gear all day and was comfortable. There wasn't to much precipitation I would say it actually helped keep the trail just tacky enough to help the grip for 95% of the trail the one section it made nasty was exactly that boggy but it was only about 25ft across. As for my conditioning it definitely opened my eyes to the need to condition myself better and lose the extra half-a-bike I am carrying around. I managed to get 4 laps in but the climbs were killing me, I would tear down the hill only to get past coming back up the other side. The first lap had the usual parade lap followed by the inevitable back log at the first technical section of the single track and since I am no Jeff Kerkove I wasn't able to get to the front before we entered the single track. One particularly nasty section of roots sent me sideways into some rocks and bent the rear rotor so I had a enjoyable rubbing noise the rest of the day. The second lap wasn't too bad got to visit grandma a little more she was glad to see me, by lap 3 she was wondering if I had a gear of my own and by lap 4 granny was really tired of getting used and abused. The day ended with a total of 36 miles in about 5hrs and 15min, since they implemented the done at the 6hr mark and coming in after that doesn't count and I was running hr+ laps there was no sense in going out for a fifth lap which under last years rules I would have. They had Bruce out there doing some great announcing and some good photographers so there should be some good photos coming up. There was a strong group of OMBA riders out there doing some strong riding and having a good time, thanks to Mark for hooking us up with a good location at the start finish with a space under the pavilion. I am looking forward to doing the century ride this weekend with Charles from The Bike Store and getting in some mileage. I am going to focus on getting in some training time and make sure I am more competitive come The 12hrs of Yargo. Meanwhile I will be hitting the trail as time allows so if your out there I Will See You on the Trail!

No comments: