Sunday, July 20, 2008

GSC#7 Ft Mountain

Getting ready to go to the Dinning Out Friday evening

The Elusive Bruce is spotted at the GSC Event

Was hoping to get back to top of the podium with Gary absent but Steve was more determined

Getting ready for the start of the race

Well after a month off from the race scene it was back to the trail this weekend. This was a new trail for me as I have never rode Ft Mountain before and it was quite the challenge. I arrived up there late Saturday night and camped out with Steve and some other riders who were competing up there, BTW Ft Mountain has a great Camping area if your ever looking to go camping in the area. Anyway it took me longer to get there than expected so there was no opportunity for a pre-ride of the course and was just going to have to wing it for the race. Sunday weather was great for racing and we kicked off on the second wave around noon I was able to get a strong start I could tell this was going to be a challenge with how it started climbing early into the race. Anyway Steve must have been training something fierce cause he was climbing like a man on a mission, I was able to catch up to him at the end of the first lap right at the Start/Finish when he thought he had a mechanical but he managed to close up again about a mile into the first lap and just took the lead and away he went on the second lap. Anyway since I wasn't getting on the top of the podium I went for the cool points, ripping down the Power line Hill at the end of the course I was passing another racer doing 29+mph and got a little squirrely to put it mildly and somehow managed to recover, well Bruce was announcing the race and I guess it was impressive enough that he even held his breath for a second before announcing I had the good hands award for the save of the day. Well it was a good time overall, and a good work out and warm up to get ready for the Season Finally at The Pig. It is time to crank it back up a notch and make sure I am in top form as I plan on winning this race decisively. So if you happen to be out at The Pig over the next 10 days or so or if your racing in the event I Will See You on the Trail!

No comments: