Sunday, May 25, 2008

Heritage Park Race






Well it has been over a month since my last GSC race so I was looking forward to hitting the trail for a race shorter than 12hrs today. We were riding in style up there with The Bike Store trailer and truck courtesy of Bill Stoudt and Charles Reeves. The weather looked promising for a dry race however it apparently decided to rain yesterday up in the Heritage park area so the trail was slick in some of the rooted areas but just tacky enough to provide traction in alot of areas as well. There was quite the central Georgia showing at the event with Charles, Chip, James, Monte, Dean, Chad and the Fields. There was quite a few Bike Store kits out there as well. I could tell I need to get back on the trainer and get a few high intensity workouts in before Ellijay/Carter Lake in two weeks and get the legs strong for the climbs felt a little slow today. The flow of the trail was intermittent as well, with the wet rooty areas really interrupting any area you could get a flow thru. But it was a good challenge with some technical up and down hills with some roots and ruts that made it pretty difficult to keep a good momentum. However if I remember correctly than this was a good warm-up for Ellijay. Anyway I had a 4th place finish so while I am feeling disappointed with my effort today I wont complain about the finish. Charles posted a 11th place sport finish, which considering he hasn't raced or trained for a mountain bike race at all this season is outstanding. Chip had several mechanicals with two flats during the course but still managed a top 10 if I remember correctly, Chad won his group of course. Well my goal for the next week and a half is to get in some pretty intense power workouts and get the legs ready for the hills up in Ellijay in two weeks, most of which will be done in the spin classes or trainer with a couple of rides at Thomson and a ride at Dauset should weather permit this Sunday coming up so if your out there I Will See You on the Trail!

No comments: