Monday, July 16, 2007

Seats and Squeaks


Seemed appropriate since I seem to history being a little less than conservative on my downhill riding


Well it has been a slow week and a half since I have returned from Carters Lake and a week of leave in MI. Which actually translates to I am not at tip top shape going into the ORAMM which should make it all that much more interesting of a ride come Sunday. Since the race I have ridden two painful laps around Thompson probably due to the fact that the seat was positioned incorrectly, that was Thursday since it rained on Wednesday, did a 4 mile run on Friday and then Sunday afternoon hit Arrowhead. I adjusted the seat this time and took off for a couple of laps around the trail. Well the seat adjustment must have been dead on because I felt really good on the lap no back pain or anything which had been a problem ever since I got back and had been riding the ETSX. The first lap went so well I rolled right thru the parking lot and did a second lap which felt just as good. I stopped for the third lap grabbed a gel and full water bottle and headed out. Well the back still felt fine but the suspension started creaking like I had a frog in the top tube. Not sure what it was but I couldn't take a pedal stroke without hearing it so made it kinda irritating but I finished the lap and felt pretty good about the ride. Didn't smoke myself too hard but did manage to make all the climbs and keep the bike upright finishing the 16.8 miles in just under 1hr 48min. On a downhill note I did manage to top out at 32.4mph on the utility trail downhill. Took the bike in today had Charles give it a once over check the suspension bushings and true the wheels to make sure it was ready for the 64miles of ORAMM on Sunday at least the bike will be well prepared even if I am not! Makes my goals pretty simple to finish with my pride, bike and body intact and enjoy what should be some beautiful scenery. I am doing a ride with the Company Commander tomorrow and probably do a road ride on Thursday just for some distance. I will pack the camera and try to get some good pics to add to the blog when I return so if you happen to be one of the brave souls riding the 64 miles with us then I Will See You on the Trail!

No comments: